Men's Tennis Topples South Dakota State 5-2
OMAHA, Neb. - The Creighton men's tennis team remained undefeated at home this season with a 5-2 defeat of South Dakota State at the Hanscom Tennis Center late Friday night.
Creighton (3-2) secured the doubles point and took four of six singles matches to claim the win over SDSU (2-7).
Sophomore Elliott Baker and freshman Brandon Lee gave CU an early advantage with an 8-2 victory at No. 2 doubles over SDSU's Luke Elifson and James Thorp. The Creighton duo of senior Sean Mathison and freshman August Nysted secured the doubles point on court three, defeating Mateus Moreira and Lucas Pereira of SDSU 8-5. Creighton led on doubles court one at 7-6 when the match was halted.
Senior Ryan Norman stretched the CU lead to 2-0 after a 6-4, 6-4 defeat over Andrea Boglic on court one. SDSU got on the board with a win on court four as Parker Lawley defeated Lee 6-4, 6-1. Baker put CU up 3-1 in the match with a three-set win Moreira on court three 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.
SDSU notched its second point of the match on court four with a 6-2, 0-6, 6-4 by Henrique Pereira over CU senior Mathison. Creighton freshman Anthony Rauschenbach secured the team match point for Creighton on court six in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2 over Lucas Pereira. Freshman Quinn Dippel claimed the final point of the match for the Jays, knocking off SDSU's James Thorp 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 on court five.
After a week off from competition, Creighton returns to action against Fairfield in a neutral-site match in Orlando, Fla.
South Dakota State vs. Creighton
March 1, 2013 at Omaha, Neb.
(Hanscom Tennis Center)
Creighton 5, South Dakota State 2
1. Ryan Norman (CU) def. Andrea Boglic (SDSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Henrique Pereira (SDSU) def. Sean Mathison (CU) 6-2, 0-6, 6-4
3. Elliott Baker (CU) def. Mateus Moreira (SDSU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Parker Lawley (SDSU) def. Brandon Lee (CU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Quinn Dippel (CU) def. James Thorp (SDSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Anthony Rauschenbach (CU) def. Lucas Pereira (SDSU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3, 2, 6, 5
1. Ryan Norman/Nick Thompson (CU) vs. Parker Lawley/Andrea Boglic (SDSU) 7-6, unfinished
2. Elliott Baker/Brandon Lee (CU) def. Luke Elifson/James Thorp (SDSU) 8-2
3. Sean Mathison/August Nysted (CU) def. Mateus Moreira/Lucas Pereira (SDSU) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3