OMAHA, Neb. - The Creighton men's tennis team remained undefeated at home this season with a 5-2 defeat of North Dakota at the Hanscom Tennis Center Saturday night.
The Bluejays (2-2) secured the doubles point and took four of six singles matches to claim the win over UND (1-3).
CU senior Sean Mathison and freshman August Nysted finished first on doubles court three with an 8-2 decision over Jared Vigen and David Bergstrom. UND's Ryan McGuigan and Grant Bakke evened the doubles matches with an 8-4 win at No. 2 doubles over the Bluejay duo of sophomore Elliott Baker and freshman Brandon Lee. Senior Ryan Norman and freshman Nick Thompson clinched the point for Creighton at No. 1 doubles, defeating Connor Oberle and Josh Oothoudt of North Dakota 8-5.
In singles action, Baker quickly extended the CU lead to 2-0 after a 6-1, 6-1 rout of Oberle on court three. CU freshman Anthony Rauschenbach pushed the Bluejay lead to 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 victory on court six.
UND's Bakke won a three-set battle on court five over Bluejay freshman Quinn Dippel. Bakke won the first set 6-1 before Dippel returned the favor in the second stanza at 6-1 to force a deciding set. Bakke regained the momentum to claim his team's first point at 6-1.
Lee clinched the team match point for Creighton on court four. The CU freshman took out Joe Lee of UND in straight sets 6-2, 6-4. On court one, UND scored its second point of the match as Oothoudt dealt Norman a 6-1, 6-3 setback. Mathison closed out the night with a 6-4, 7-6 win over McGuigan for the Jays' final point.
Creighton returns to action when it hosts South Dakota State at the Hanscom Tennis Center on Friday, March 1 at 6:00 p.m.
North Dakota vs. Creighton
Feb 23, 2013 at Omaha, Neb.
(Hanscom Tennis Center)
Creighton 5, North Dakota 2
1. Josh Oothoudt (UND) def. Ryan Norman (CU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Sean Mathison (CU) def. Ryan McGuigan (UND) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Elliott Baker (CU) def. Connor Oberle (UND) 6-1, 6-1
4. Brandon Lee (CU) def. Joe Lee (UND) 6-2, 6-4
5. Grant Bakke (UND) def. Quinn Dippel (CU) 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
6. Anthony Rauschenbach (CU) def. Will Biernat (UND) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 6, 5, 4*, 1, 2
1. Norman/Nick Thompson (CU) def. Oberle/Oothoudt (UND) 8-5
2. McGuigan/Bakke (UND) def. Baker/Lee (CU) 8-4
3. Mathison/August Nysted (CU) def. Jared Vigen/David Bergstrom (UND) 8-2