IOWA CITY, Iowa - The Creighton men's tennis team dropped its first road match of the season at Iowa 7-0 at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex Saturday morning.
The Bluejays (1-1) fell behind early to the Hawkeyes (4-1) who claimed the doubles point with a three-match sweep.
At No. 2 doubles CU senior Sean Mathison and freshman Nick Thompson dropped an 8-2 decision to Iowa's Matt Hagan and Jonas Dierckx. On court one the Hawkeye duo of Garret Dunn and Michael Swank topped the Creighton senior tandem of Billy Paluch and Ryan Norman 8-4. On court three the Bluejay pairing of sophomore Elliot Baker and freshman Brandon Lee fell 8-4 to Iowa's Juan Estensorro/Joey White.
Iowa then rolled into the singles competition to sweep five of six matches in straight sets.
Creighton senior Billy Paluch, ranked No. 91 nationally in singles, was forced to retire in his match at No. 1 singles after taking the first set 6-3 and losing a tiebreaker in the second set at 7-6. Paluch retired before a deciding set.
CU freshman Quinn Dippel pushed Swank in the No. 6 slot to extra games in both sets before surrendering a 7-5, 7-5 match. Mathison won six games from Dunn on court three in a 6-4, 6-2 downfall. Iowa clinched the team match point on court five as Iowa's Dominic Patrick dealt Lee a 6-0, 6-3 setback.
Creighton faces its second Big Ten opponent in two days when it travels to Lincoln to take on Nebraska at 6 p.m. Sunday evening inside the Nebraska Tennis Center.
Creighton at Iowa
Feb 9, 2013 at Iowa City, Iowa
(Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex)
Iowa 7, Creighton 0
1. Matt Hagan (IOWA) def. Billy Paluch (CU) 3-6, 7-6, retired due to injury
2. Jonas Dierckx (IOWA) def. Ryan Norman (CU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Garret Dunn (IOWA) def. Sean Mathison (CU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Juan Estensorro (IOWA) def. Elliot Baker (CU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Dominic Patrick (IOWA) def. Brandon Lee (CU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Michael Swank (IOWA) def. Quinn Dippel (CU) 7-5, 7-5
Order of finish: 4, 2, 5, 3, 6, 1
3. Juan Estensorro/Joey White (IOWA) def. Elliot Baker/Brandon Lee (CU) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3