2011 (Summer with the Rochester Honkers)
• Played a summer with the Rochester Honkers of the Northwoods League.
• Saw time both on the mound and at the plate over the summer.
• Made 14 appearances on the mound, tossing 25.2 innings of work and allowing 13 earned runs while striking out 14 batters.
• Hit .244 on the season, scoring nine runs and driving in seven.
• Teammate of current Bluejay Scott Thornburg.
2011 (Junior at Creighton)
• Made appearances in 23 games, starting 14 games in the outfield and earning one start on the mound.
• Earned his first start as a Bluejay vs. Canisius (2/19).
• Walked a season-high two times at Kansas (2/22).
• Picked up his first hit, a double at New Mexico (2/25).
• Scored his first Bluejay run at New Mexico, finishing the day 1-for-2 with a double, walk, RBI and run scored (2/25).
• Tossed 1.1 innings of work on the mound in his lone start of the season at New Mexico (2/27); allowed seven hits and six earned runs in his outing.
• Dropped his first sacrifice bunt at Arkansas State (3/6).
• Started five straight games in the outfield from March 6 - March 12 including the home opener against South Dakota State (3/12).
• Earned starts at Air Force (3/16) and SIU Edwardsville (3/19) in the outfield.
• Made his second appearance on the mound at Evansville, throwing 0.2 innings of scoreless, hitless baseball (5/15).
• Picked up his first career win in the MVC Tournament semifinal game against Missouri State (5/27). Hurled 2.0 innings of scoreless, hitless, relief, striking out two and walking three. Earned the win when Creighton scored on a wild pitch in the bottom of the 12th inning to advance to the MVC Tournament Championship game.
2008-10 (Garden City CC)
• Played for the 2010 Kansas Jayhawk Conference Champions Garden City Broncbusters.
• Earned 2010 first team All-Conference (KJCCC - West), All-Region (Region VI) and first team All-America (NJCAA) honors.
• Finished the 2010 season with a 9-2 record on the mound and a 4.34 ERA.
• Recorded 40 strikeouts in 65.2 innings pitched for head coach Chris Finnegan.
• Hit .455 with 87 hits, 24 doubles and six home runs during the 2010 season.
• Also started and played in all 54 games the Broncbusters played in 2010.
• Came to Creighton with GCCC and current Creighton teammate Reese McGraw.
2004-08 (Bear Creek High School)
• Played baseball for head coach Brad Kidwell and the Bear Creek Bears in Lakewood, Colo.
Hits: 1 (4x), last at Air Force, 3/16/11
Doubles: 1, at New Mexico, 2/25/11
Total bases: 2, at New Mexico, 2/25/11
RBI: 1 (2x), last vs. Portland, 4/2/11
Runs scored: 1 (4x), last vs. Southern Illinois 4/22/11
Walks: 2, at Kansas, 2/22/11
Hit by pitch: 1, vs. South Dakota State, 3/12/11
Sac bunts: 1 (3x), last vs. South Dakota State, 3/12/11
At bats: 3 (5x), last vs. BYU, 5/22/11
Innings pitched: 2.0, vs. Missouri State, 5/27/11
Hits allowed: 7, at New Mexico, 2/27/11
Doubles allowed: 1, at New Mexico, 2/27/11
Triples allowed: None
Home runs allowed: None
Walks allowed: 3, vs Missouri State, 5/27/11
Strikeouts: 2, vs. Missouri State, 5/27/11
Batters faced: 11, at New Mexico, 2/27/11
Runs: 6, at New Mexico, 2/27/11
Earned runs: 6, at New Mexico, 2/27/11
More About Erik
Full Name: Erik Daniel Mattingly
Birthday: November 24, 1989
Birthplace: Phoenix, Ariz.
Parents: Greg and Linda Mattingly
Sibling: Kyle (24)
Career Ambition: To be a baseball coach
Favorite Athletes: Pete Rose and Todd Helton
Favorite Movies: Elf, Pineapple Express
Favorite Food: Chipotle
Favorite Quote: “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work as hard.” - Kevin Durant
Why Creighton?: Creighton has a good baseball program with great facilities and I knew I would get a good education.
|High School:||Bear Creek HS|
|Other College:||Garden City CC|